Community Assistance Program
There are many small water bodies in Mississippi that are owned by counties, cities and private groups. The quality of the fishing in these waters varies depending on the knowledge of fisheries management techniques possessed by those who own or manage these waters. In an effort to provide quality fishing experiences in these waters the MDWFP has established the Community Assistance Program. The goal of our Community Assistance Program is to enhance the management and development of lakes and ponds in urban settings so that local residents, especially youth, will be able to experience the joys of fishing close to home.
Communities, cities, counties and other sponsors participate in this program by executing a cooperative agreement with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks. This agreement specifies the services each party agrees to provide. In order to enter into a cooperative agreement with the department, the local sponsor must agree to abide by all provisions in the cooperative agreement.
The MDWFP will:
- provide technical advice regarding fish harvest regulations, aquatic plant control, management recommendations and fish for stocking free of charge
- provide a management plan through periodic onsite sampling of the fish populations
- furnis signs recognizing all entities who participated in the project development and listing the use regulations for the water body.
The Cooperating agrees to:
- maintain the grounds around the fishing site
- follow the fisheries management recommendations provided by the MDWFP
MDWFP prefers to cooperate on projects that are located in city or county parks within easy access of town. The ideal locations are those adjacent to baseball, soccer and softball fields on multi use facilities.
Currently, there are 15 water bodies totaling 121 acres in 11 locations enrolled in the MDWFP Community Assistance Program. For more information about this program call (601) 432-2207.
Contact Dennis Riecke at email@example.com
MDWFP Fisheries Bureau CAP Coordinator