Fossil Road Show
Saturday, March 09, 2019
Time: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Location: MDWFP's Mississippi Museum of Natural Science
For more information please contact the Visitor Information Specialist at 601-576-6000 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pack up your fossils and hit the road!
- Bring your fossil discoveries to get expert opinions about their ages and identities from our team of scientists!
- See the museum’s fossil collection and collector displays
- Visit with institutional exhibitors and our new paleontology research associate
- Participate in hands-on activities, “fossil digs”, and a scavenger hunt
- Get updates on current paleontological research & news from the Mississippi Office of Geology and MDWFP's Mississippi Museum of Natural Science
So, go through your “rock boxes” and challenge our staff with your prehistoric oddities.
The event is included in the regular museum admission fee of $6 for adults, $4 for youth ages 3-18, and $5 for senior citizens. Ages under 3 are free. Museum Members are free.
For more information call 601-576-6000.
* Science and Art meet during the 2019 Fossil Road Show! Join our resident artist Sam Beibers as he demonstrates his still-life techniques of paleo-subjects. Also, kids can make their own fossil inspired art, with ammonites as our fossil models.
* University of W. Alabama Paleontologist James Lamb is one of the many guest experts visiting the 16th annual Fossil Road Show with interesting specimens for you to explore. Want to learn more about Mississippi’s fossil history? Visit Dr. Lamb and our other paleo-professionals during the Fossil Road Show.
* Have an interesting fossil, but don’t know what it is? Bring it to the Fossil Road Show where our experts can identify your specimen. Not only will you learn about your fossils, but you can see what other guests, exhibitors, and “rock-hounds” have found across the state. The educational and fun event brings families together to share their love of Mississippi’s fossil history.
* There’s lot to do at the Fossil Road Show for families. Adults will enjoy the specialty exhibitor tables, but the kids will love the fossil gravel hunt for actual Mississippi fossils, the indoor scavenger hunt build around the museum’s fossil wall (a.k.a. Stories in Stone), and digging in real fossil sediments from the “Red Hot” Truck Stop, amongst other things. Truly an inter-generational event, the Fossil Road Show has something for everyone with an interest in our paleo-history.
* Show love for your favorite dinosaur by wearing a little dino-inspired face paint. Painted Faces will be at the Fossil Road Show. All designs are only $5 (payable to Painted Faces).