Botanical research at MMNS is focused on the
distribution, status, and taxonomy of the native plants found in
Mississippi, through baseline sampling and general survey work. The
data gathered by this work is used to guide the Natural
Heritage Program in its selection of plant species of concern.
Research activities are conducted by the MMNS Staff, and
collections made during these activities are deposited into the
Contact Heather Sullivan
- Status and distribution of the Orchidaceae in Mississippi
- Status and distribution of the Trilliums of Mississippi
- Status and distribution of the Penstemons of Mississippi
- Status and distribution of the Ferns and Fern Allies of
Regional Biological Collections:
- Wildflowers of Mississippi . 1989. S. Lee Timme. University
Press of Mississippi .
- Seaside Plants of the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts. 1987.
Wilber H. Duncan and Marion B. Duncan. Smithsonian
- Wildflowers of Tennessee. 2001. Jack B. Carman.
Highland Rim Press.
- Trees of the Southeastern United States. 1988. Wilber H.
Duncan and Marion B. Duncan. The University of Georgia
- Louisiana Ferns and Fern Allies. 1980. John W. Thieret.
Lafayette Natural History Museum Association.
- Manual of the Southeastern Flora. 1933. John Kunkel
Small. Science Press Printing Company.
- Aquatic and Wetland Plants of Southeastern United
States. Two volumes: Monocotyledons and Dicotyledons. 1979.
Robert K. Godfrey and Jean W. Wooten. University of Georgia