Home      Contact Us      Calendar     
pic box

Nuisance Wildlife

Rules & Regulations

Some species of wildlife, both native and non-native, regularly cause conflicts through their
interactions with humans.   This may occur around homes and other buildings, gardens, livestock areas, ponds, crops, and gardens.  Conflicts can range from mere irritating circumstances to significant property damage. Nuisance animal regulations have been developed to provide homeowners and landowners legal options for management and control of these species.

Any nuisance animal control or management program must begin with an assessment of the conditions that may attract wildlife to a location that develops into a nuisance situation.  Wildlife in both rural and suburban areas will utilize food sources, as well as buildings and other physical structures that are not intended for use by wildlife.  Depending on the situation, once wildlife become accustomed to food sources or structures, deterring them may be very difficult or seem impossible. In many cases, a nuisance situation exists due to conditions created by humans. Some nuisance wildlife situations may be amplified during poor wildlife population health conditions, poor habitat conditions, or during nesting, young rearing, and denning. In other situations, wildlife will merely take advantage of opportunities that exist within their home range. Nuisance animal regulations provide opportunity for homeowners and landowners to protect their property against nuisance animals and the damage that they may cause.

The following species are defined as "nuisance animals" in the State of Mississippi:

  • Beaver
  • Coyote
  • Fox
  • Nutria
  • Skunk
  • Wild hogs


Nuisance animals may be hunted,  taken, killed, chased, or pursued during daylight hours on private lands and/or  on public lands, where the governmental agency charged with the management of  said lands has passed laws or regulations allowing the taking of nuisance animals, from opening day of deer archery season to the last day of February and during spring turkey season with the type of weapons and ammunition legal to hunt with during that season. 

Outside of the above mentioned time-frames, the hunting of nuisance animals is allowed during daylight hours on private lands with no caliber restrictions. 

Persons hunting nuisance animals during nighttime hours from one half (1/2) hour after sunset to one half (1/2) hour before sunrise, with or without the aid of a light, are restricted to using standard rim-fire rifles or handguns no larger than .22 caliber long rifle (all magnums excluded) and/or shotguns with shot size no larger than No. 6.

Except for the following:

Landowners and leaseholders may hunt nuisance animals year-round at any time of day or night with no caliber restrictions only on the lands that they own or lease.

Designated agents of landowners and leaseholders may hunt nuisance animals year-round at any time of day or night with no caliber restrictions, provided that the designated agent must have written permission from the landowner or leaseholder in his or her possession, when hunting.

  • Permission letters must be signed and dated by the landowner, shall include the contact information of the landowner and the designated agent, and must specify a date of expiration.


 In addition:

  • Nuisance animals may be hunted with the aid of electronic calls. 
  • Nuisance animals may not be hunted or pursued with dogs during the open spring turkey season.
  • Nuisance animals may not be hunted with the aid of bait (See WILD HOGS for exceptions).
  • The holder of a valid All Game Hunting, Sportsman, Lifetime, or Trapping License may sell any part of any nuisance animal year-round.
  • Persons hunting wild hogs during any open gun season on deer must wear, in full view, 500 square inches of solid unbroken hunter orange, unless they are hunting from a fully enclosed stand.


TRAPPING - Beaver, Coyote, Fox, Nutria, and Skunk

  • A trapping license is required for anyone 16 years of age
    or older who traps on any land other than their own.
  • Persons trapping nuisance animals, other than wild hogs, must have a valid Mississippi trapping license, unless otherwise exempt.
  • It is illegal to trap with the aid of bait, recordings of bird or animal calls, or electrically amplified imitations of calls of any kind.   However, lure is allowed for trapping furbearers, beaver, nutria, coyote, skunk, and fox, provided that no more than two and one-half (2.5) cubic inches of such lure may be placed or located within twenty (20) feet of any trap.  (The lure amount of 2.5 cubic inches is approximately the volume equivalent of a regulation-sized golfball).  All lure within twenty (20) feet of any trap must be covered and not visible from above.  However, there are no lure restrictions when used inside live-cage type traps that do not exceed forty-two (42) inches in length, fifteen (15) inches in width, and twenty (20) inches in height. 
  • Liquid scents may be used.
  • All other regulations in regards to trapping apply (see Trapping and Fur Dealing Regulations pamphlet for complete regulations or Miss. Code Ann. ยง49-7-141).



"Wild hogs" are defined as any feral hog, wild swine, Russian boar, or any pig that is not domesticated or has a wild-looking appearance or behavior.

Transportation of wild hogs

Wild hogs may not be transported within the State of Mississippi between the hours of sunset and sunrise.

Wild hogs may not be released or removed alive from any mobile device or vehicle, except that wild hogs may be released alive for the purpose of slaughter into an enclosure no larger than 500 square feet in size and constructed in a manner that prevents the escape of any wild hog. 

  • Anyone transporting a live wild hog within the State of Mississippi must first obtain a Live Wild Hog Transportation Permit for each wild hog being transported.
    Permits may be obtained by contacting the department's 24 hour Communications Dispatcher at ph. (601) 432-2170. 
  • Required information for a Live Wild Hog Transportation Permit will be:
  1. Date and time of transportation
  2. Name and physical address of permittee
  3. Hunting License No.
  4. County
  5. Point of origin (Road or Highway No.)
  6. Number of live wild hogs being transported
  7. Final destination
  8. Description of the transporting vehicle and license plate number

Wild hogs MAY NOT be transported alive during nightimte hours, regardless.

Hunting wild hogs with the aid of bait

  • Wild hogs may not be hunted over bait that is a whole, chopped, or ground-up grain.  However, wild hogs may be hunted over any food or food product that is not a whole, chopped, or ground-up grain.
  • Wild hogs may be hunted over planted, harvested, or un-harvested  agricultural crops or wildlife food plantings, provided that no additional grain has been added (sweetened) to the hunting area.

Trapping wild hogs

  • Any live cage-type trap used to trap wild hogs must be tagged or labeled in plain view (written in waterproof ink or stamped) with the owner or users name, address, phone number and/or trapper license ID#. 
  • All live cage-type traps must be checked every 36 hours. 
  • All non-targeted wild or domestic animals caught must be released immediately upon detection. 
  • A wild hog live-cage-type trap is described as a permanent or mobile containment system made of any type material capable of confining the mobility of a wild hog until otherwise removed. 
  • The trap must consist of a trap door, slide gate, or similar mechanism.
  • 50% of any roof or tops of these traps must be open in a manner with ample opening to allow non-targeted deer, turkey, or bear to escape.


  • Residents, unless exempt from purchasing an annual hunting license, must possess an All-Game Hunting License, Sportsman License or Lifetime License while hunting nuisance animals.
  • All Non-Residents (NR) sixteen years of age or older hunting nuisance animals must possess a NR-All Game type license.
  • Either a NR-All Game License, NR 7-Day All Game License in addition to a NR Archery / Primitive Weapon Permit, or a NR 3-Day All Game-Archery / Primitive Weapon License is required for non-residents hunting nuisance animals during any archery/primitive weapon season.
  • Persons trapping wild hogs must possess either a valid Lifetime, All Game, Sportsman, or Trapping License, unless otherwise exempt.



Exceptions to nuisance animal regulations may be allowed by making application to the MDWFP for an Animal Control Permit.  Animal control permits may be issued to control nuisance wildlife on private property when damage or nuisance problems are verified by a MDWFP officer, when requested. To apply for a permit, contact the regional office in your area.


Nuisance Animal Technical Guidance

To receive technical guidance and information in regards to nuisance animal management and control, you may contact the following agencies: 

USDA Wildlife Services (MS) - (662) 325-3014

MDWFP Wildlife Bureau - (601) 432-2199

Mississippi State University, Extension Service - http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/


457 CR 26
Mailing Address:
Box 100
Enid, MS 38927
(662) 563-6222

506 Highway 43 South
Canton, MS 39046
(601) 859-3421

1201 N Clark Avenue
Magnolia, MS 39652
(601) 783-2911