Manager: Jerry Woods
Muscadine Farms WMA is located in Washington County near Greenville. From the Hwy. 12 and 61 intersection at Hollandale, go North 3.5 miles to the Avon Darlove road, turn left (west) and go 7.6 miles to Muscadine Road, the headquarters will be on the right. If you have any questions regarding Muscadine Farms WMA call (662) 335-2422.
Muscadine Farms Wildlife Management Area (WMA) was a 700 acre catfish farm in Washington County when it was purchased by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers for mitigation in 2002. The property is located approximately 5 miles west of Highway 61 on Avon Darlove Road. In 2009, an additional 700 acres of catfish ponds and approximately 1,400 acres of replanted trees, the Washington and Po-Lutken Tracts, were added to Muscadine Farms WMA.
The 90 retired catfish ponds are intensively managed for waterfowl. These ponds are managed in three or four pond hunting units. Each hunting unit is managed individually, with at least one pond per unit having corn, milo, or millet planted in it. The majority of ponds are managed for moist-soil vegetation with beneficial native plants. Plant species that are selected for include smartweed, sprangletop, wild millets, and various sedges. All of these native species produce large numbers of seeds that are relished by waterfowl in winter.
Waterfowl hunting is by draw hunt only with a combination of pre-season draws and stand-by opportunities. Hunts are conducted on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Random drawings are conducted at 5:00 am the morning of each hunt day. Pre-season draws guarantee a hunter he will hunt on the day of his draw, but he must still draw for a hunt unit the morning of his reservation.
The 1,400 acres of replanted trees on the Washington and Po-Lutken Tracts will be open for small game hunting. The early successional stage of the habitat in this area is ideal for rabbits.
WMA Waterfowl Draw Hunt Procedures for the 2021-22 Hunting Season
The MDWFP has made procedural changes to waterfowl draw hunts on Wildlife Management Areas for the 2021-22 hunting season.
Procedures for the upcoming hunting season are outlined below:
- The waterfowl draw hunt application period (5 draw periods per WMA) will be open concurrently from Oct 1 to Oct 15 and all drawings and notifications will be completed by Nov 1.
- Hunting units will be assigned when draw winners are notified by email.
- Drawn hunters and their guests will sign in on the pre-drawn sign in sheet by 5:00 am (at WMA Headquarters Building), and then proceed to their assigned hunting unit the morning of the hunt.
- There will be “stand-by” opportunity on Howard Miller, Mahannah, Mahannah/Phil Bryant Timber, and Muscadine Farms WMAs for non-drawn hunters to show up the day of a hunt for a chance to fill a vacant spot.
- If drawn hunters DO NOT sign in by 5:00 am, their hunt unit will become available in the stand-by draw.
- For stand-by hunters, one designated person from each hunt group will sign in all members of their hunting party on a numbered stand-by sign in sheet by 5:00 am. and will draw for the order in which they will select any hunt units left available.
- This will continue until all available hunt units are allocated or all stand-by groups have a hunt unit.
- For more information on individual WMA rules and regulations, please visit http://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/wma/
- Rules & Regs for Muscadine WMA
- WMA Interactive Map
- Muscadine WMA Area Map
- WMA Draw Hunt
- Muscadine Hunt Unit Map
- Muscadine Dove Field
- Waterfowl Hunting Information
- Waterfowl Draw Procedures
- Handicapped Hunter Access
- Local Weather
Frequently Asked Questions for Hunting on Muscadine WMA
- What is the habitat type? – This WMA is managed for moist soil with blocks of willow and oak plantings. Water levels range from 6 in. to 2 ft. in depth.
- Is there any Cover? There is a significant amount of cover along the edges of each impoundment as well as strips of Sorghum-Sudan grass and stands of willow and oak trees. There is no need to bring any additional blind material.
- Do I need a boat or a blind? There is no need for a boat or blind for this particular WMA. Most hunters use some form of swamp stool or low-lying chair as a seat.
- Do I have to hunt a certain spot? Your entire hunt unit is yours to hunt for the day. You are allowed to hunt anywhere within your designated unit. You are not required to hunt any particular location within your designated unit. No other hunters outside of your hunting party will be allowed to hunt the unit on your draw date.
- Are ATV/UTVs allowed? ORVs/ATVs/Electric bicycles are PROHIBITED. No vehicles allowed on levees. All hunt units can be accessed by foot.
- Can I scout my unit and when? During the waterfowl seasons, Non-hunting use of the area is allowed by foot traffic only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 12:00 noon until 3:00 pm.
- How many people can I bring? You are allowed to but not required to bring up to 3 guests on your waterfowl draw hunt
- How long can I hunt? – Shooting hours for waterfowl on this WMA end at 4:00 pm. Waterfowl hunters must check out by 5:00 pm.