ALLIGATOR SEASON DATES SET for 2014:
Public Waters Season: 12:00 noon August 29 - 12:00 noon September 8, 2014
- Application period June 2 - June 9
- (electronic application via this website - only)
- (one week only)
- (must have a valid MS Hunting License to apply)
- For Application Instructions go here:
Private Lands Season: 12:00 noon August 29 - 6:00 am September 22, 2014
- Application period: June 1 - July 1
- (Mail-in application with all required documents)
- For Application Form and Instructions go here:
TRAINING COURSE INFORMATION:
Each person drawn for a public waters permit must attend a mandatory MS Alligator Hunting Training Course for their permit. Also, anyone who is issued a private lands permit must also attend. Each training course has limited attendance, therefore, limited to permitted hunters for that year only. However, each permitted hunter is allowed to bring one (1) guest to the training course. Registration for the classes is an electronic process and instructions for registration are included within the email notification to all drawn public water hunters and permitted applicants for private land hunts. There is no charge for attendance to the training courses. The training courses provide information on alligator history, biology, MDWFP Alligator Program, all alligator hunting regulations, capture methods, capture gear, harvest methods, processing meat and hides, harvest reporting and documentation, how/where to purchase licenses and possession permits, and much more.
Course Schedule for 2014:
August 2 - 9:00am- 12:00 Noon, Roosevelt State Park (Morton, MS)
August 9 - 9:00am- 12:00 Noon, Delta State University (Cleveland, MS)
August 16 - 9:00am- 12:00 Noon, Jones County Junior College (Ellisville, MS)
Training Course Directions and Instructions
NOTE: Due to limited seating, Training Courses are only available to drawn Public Water applicants and permitted Private Lands Permt holders.
*** NOTICE ***
- Packets for approved Private Land Permit applicants have been mailed effective July 14, 2014.
- The drawing is complete for all hunting zones and email notifications have been sent to winners.
- The drawing for substitute slots was completed Wednesday, June 25. Emails have been sent and those winners must verify/register, as instructed, by July 3 @ 5:00 PM.
Alligator Hunting Records Broken in 2013
All 4 categories of alligator hunting records have been broken
during the 2013 alligator hunting season. UPDATED: September
CLICK HERE for more details.
Alligators may be found all across Mississippi. They are most prevalent in the southern two-thirds of the state (south of Hwy 82). While alligators typically avoid humans and human activity, occassionally they do cause conflicts with humans. Juvenile alligators often disperse into new territiories in the late spring and early summer months. During this dispersal they occassionally find themselves in unusual locations near human development, such as; farm ponds, road ditches, highways, parking lots, yards, swimming pools, neighborhood water landscape pools, and even buildings. It is illegal and very dangerous for the public to capture and remove or kill an alligator without special permit from the MDWFP. As human developments (residential and commercial) continue to encroach into more rural areas of the state, increased interaction and conflicts with wildlife are subject to occur.
Alligator Program Coordinator
Alligator Hunting Information
- PUBLIC WATERS Hunting Information
- PRIVATE LANDS Hunting Information
- 2014 PERMIT and LICENSE Purchasing Instructions
- 2014 ALLIGATOR HUNTING GUIDE (PDF Dwnld)
- Alligator Hunting & Harvest History in Mississippi
- Alligator Awareness
- Alligator Capture & Harvest Techniques
- Alligator Dispatch Techniques
- Alligator Skinning Instructions
- Alligator Hide & Meat Processing Instructions
- MS Alligator Hunting Records
- Range Map - Alligators in MS
Nuisance Alligator Program Information
Alligator Articles & Video Clips
- Alligator Nest Hatch Videos (**NEW Sept. 2013**)
- Alligator Tagging and Tales - (the tagging and release program)
- Alligators in Mississippi Then & Now
- The Recovery of the American Alligator in Mississippi
- Mississippi's First Alligator Hunting Season - 2005
- Alligators - Neighbors or Nuisance Pest?
- Feeding Alligators: "It Could Cost You an Arm and A Leg"
- What's the Problem With Alligators? PEOPLE!