From Indianola, go north on Sunflower Ave., approximately 2.2 miles and turn right onto Steiner Rd. Go north approximately 9 miles and turn left onto Hughes Ertle Rd. Go 2 miles and the headquarters will be on your right. If you have any questions regarding William C. (Billy) Deviney WMA call (662) 335-2422.
William C. (Billy) Deviney Wildlife Management Area (WMA) is located 10 miles north of Indianola and is managed as a waterfowl hunting area.
- Rules and Regs for William C. (Billy) Deviney WMA
- WMA Interactive Map
- William C. (Billy) Deviney Area Map
- William C. (Billy) Deviney Dove Field
- Waterfowl Hunting Information
- Waterfowl Draw Procedures
- Handicapped Hunter Access
- Local Weather
Frequently Asked Questions about William C. "Billy" Deviney WMA
- What is the habitat type? – This WMA is mostly harvested rice fields with strips of standing rice and harvested soybeans with strips of corn in certain areas of each unit. Water Depths range from 6” in. to 2’ ft. deep
- Is there any Cover? Cover is limited within the impoundments and is almost exclusively limited to the outer banks of each impoundment. Camouflage - Tan or brown camouflage (e.g. Fast Grass) in moist soil units is recommended
- Do I need a boat or a blind? Some type of small layout boat, layout blind with tub, etc. to allow hunter to reduce silhouette, is highly recommended.
- Do I have to hunt a certain spot? Your entire hunt unit is yours to hunt for the day. You are allowed to hunt anywhere within your designated unit. You are not required to hunt any particular location within your designated unit. No other hunters outside of your hunting party will be allowed to hunt the unit on your draw date.
- Are ATV/UTVs allowed? ATV/UTVs are allowed only on designated roads and trails but all hunt units can be accessed by foot.
- Can I scout my unit and when? During the waterfowl seasons, scouting is allowed by foot traffic only on Sundays and Tuesdays from 12:00 noon until 3:00 pm.
- How many people can I bring? You are allowed to but not required to bring up to 3 guests on your waterfowl draw hunt
- How long can I hunt? – Shooting hours for waterfowl on this WMA end at 12:00 noon. Waterfowl hunters must check out by 1:00 pm, except during the waterfowl youth hunt which shall run concurrent with the statewide waterfowl youth hunt.